Announcing a new beginning

Hi everyone!

I started working on Mizuu back in June 2011, so it’s been developed for for almost four years now. That in itself is quite an achievement for me, as I usually like to start projects, but have a hard time maintaining interest.

Mizuu was different. It was an incredible learning experience, but it was more than that because it also revolved around something that I genuinely enjoy: Movies and TV shows.

Recently, however, I’ve begun losing interest in Mizuu.Or rather, I’ve begun losing interest in Mizuu in its current state. It’s not that I don’t enjoy movies or TV shows anymore nor that I don’t enjoy developing Android applications. It’s the fact that there’s come an ever-growing list of wanted features and demand from the thousands of new users. It’s been coming for quite some time now, but I really feel like Mizuu has shifted away from what I originally imagined.

My vision for the application is a simple, intuitive and effective way of both managing and consuming your content. In all honesty that’s not the case right now. Just take a look at the app settings or many of the crowded overflow menus. The current state is the result of years of continuous changes, additions and removals. It’s the result of a learning experience in software engineering, meaning that it’s really the result of bad software engineering.

It’s also the result of almost being too proactive when dealing with user suggestions. Don’t get me wrong, though. Some suggestions are very good, but there’s always been a lot of different suggestions regarding functionality, and I’m blaming myself for having listened too much. I’ve added stuff that I haven’t personally felt the need for – and once that happens, you start to lose the passion and your own credibility. It also makes you less likely to improve upon the code and more likely to let it be buggy or incomplete to begin with.

In short: I intend to change this.

“How?”, you may ask. It’s practically impossible to build upon the current version of Mizuu while maintaining backwards compatibility. It’s possible to use parts of the current version, but it won’t be possible to do much more than that. I need to start over. That’s the only way to ensure that everything is done the right way.

This means that I’ll remove quite a substantial numbers of current features and settings. I want to completely re-think the application and that’s not possible if I’m constrained by a number of current features and settings. Also, it’ll be available as a new application in Google Play, meaning that your phone won’t suddenly auto-update and you’ll be left with something entirely different. The old version will eventually be phased out and won’t be supported once the new version is ready.

There’s no doubt that the upcoming development and engineering process will take time, but I’ll try to keep you updated as I go along.

Thanks!

PS. Here’s what Mizuu looked like before I released it in June 2011:

1. You’ll probably get lots of “oh no, you can’t do this” or probably a lot less tame than that. Personally I think its a brave and great decision. Knowing when to stop and start again is always hard. I look forward to seeing what the new version brings!!.

2. Follow your heart, i trust in your skills. Mizuu is still one of best Android apps I bought, your new app will surely be great. Thank you for not updating automatically

3. Thanks a lot to both of you 🙂

4. Great work Michell. I’ve been following your progress for a few years now and it is a bummer that you have lost your passion. Good luck with the next project, I look forward to checking it out. Thanks a lot for all the help over the years too mate.

Ps: Do you plan to update Mizuu to work with the Trakt v2 API?

Thanks again.

• Hi Marcus! I haven’t really lost my passion, but I’ve lost interest in the current state of the application. I can’t wait to get started and show you guys what I’ll be able to pull off.

And yes, whatever I come up with will work with the Trakt v2 API.

• Hi again,

What I meant to ask was, will you be updating the current version of Mizuu to re-enable trakt.tv support? Or have you finished work on the current version of Mizuu?

• Hi! The current version won’t receive any further updates from this point on. Any work from now on will focus on the future rather than the presence.

• No worries Michell, I understand. Great work on Mizuu, I look forward to seeing what you have in store for the next project. It’s in safe hands.

Keep up the excellent work.

5. Michell, I’m a loyal fan and support your decision, as you are the creator of this wonderful, extremely powerful and useful program. I personally love and use this program daily. You are right, we are a needy bunch, especially when a gifted and talented app writer, such as yourself, comes along and spoils us with great support and working product, this Is why I bought the app from Google, to support your great work. But this is your brain child and I agree that you should do it to your vision and new abilities that were learned along the way. I will help test and give feedback on your new vision where I can, but remember, we are needed and will always ask for more, so ignore us when it is a self centered request, but keep a. n open mind for more success for you to grow and become more successful in the your great future. You might want to think in terms of apps that support the request for non-related Mizuu app to develop new apps. There is a shortage of apps that really help and change peoples lives the way that Mizuu did mine. I have looked for many years for a program like yours, it hands down beats XBMC, Windows Media Center, and all others as the best TV and Movie database app. You are a true artist my friend. Thanks

• Thanks a lot, I really appreciate that. I’m looking to build something that beats the current version, and I’m glad to hear that you think I’ve set the bar high 🙂

6. I am not sure what will be removed and what will be kept … but let’s see what comes out of this new beggining!

Keep up the good work.

Best regards

• Neither am I! Exciting, isn’t it? 🙂

7. Michell, I’m a daily user of your app since a long time but if you feel that can be improved… hey, be brave.

• There’s definitely room for improvement throughout the app. Can’t wait to share it with you guys 🙂

8. Few years ago, when I had my first Android tablet, the absence of a Movies app similar to iOS, sent me searching for months for anything I could make it work, until I found exactly what I was looking for. That was Mizuu 1.6. Version 2 came and now Version 3, completely changed what the app used to look like. Its a good idea to go back to the roots of what the app initially was, and I am quite sure you would come up with another great app. All the best!

9. Go for it mate, simplicity is always better and in the end, users have not idea what they want or need.