Beta testing is now possible for paid users

beta_test

In my previous post about the launch of version 2.2, I made a brief note about beta testing for paid users – directly from the Google Play store. This is now possible.

In order to become a beta tester, you’ll need to join the Mizuu community on Google+. This is required by Google in order to make the exclusive beta testing work. Once you’ve joined the community on Google+, you’ll need to open the following link and log in to your Google account:

Join beta test: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.miz.mizuu

From that link, you’ll be able to join the beta test and leave it again. If you leave the beta test, you can return to the regular version of Mizuu. It is important to note, however, that you WILL need to uninstall the application when leaving the beta in order to get the regular version again.

As a beta tester, you won’t be able to leave public reviews, but I highly encourage you to provide feedback. All feedback is sent directly to me and is private, so if you need to, you’ll be able to send personal details that help describe the issue.

1. Great idea
    This made me become a paid user.

• Thanks! Much appreciated 🙂 How’s the beta working for you?

2. Here we are. The Mizuu Beta-Tester.
    The Beta ist very fine! and the Optical changes in the TV-Show looks nice.
    Is it possible to show @first start after update a list of changes to have a look at these and taste it?
    This help us to test the app and the things you added.
    Great thanks for all your work on this wunderfull Application.

• Hi Bobby!

I might do that, but not sure. The main changes in the first beta version is the updated seasons / episode view on tablets in landscape, and I’ve done some serious work on optimizing the most used parts of Mizuu, so it runs at 60 fps consistently. There was quite a bit of GPU overdraw in earlier versions, but it’s gone in this one. Also, the menu drawer has been changed, so I’m now using the official one from the Android team. Not sure if I like it or not yet.

3. Hello, I am tester but how do I know that I am using a test version and not the regular version?

• You can either use the “Contact developer” menu option or go to Applications in the Android settings menu to check the version number. It’ll include “beta”, if you’re using the beta.

4. Where can I find the changelog for the beta version? I am not sure to understand what’s different from the regular 2.2.

Also, can you introduce Home Videos as we discussed in the comment section of your post “Would anyone be interested in TV show tracking?”.
    Even if you start with placeholder images to begin with.

Thanks.

• Please see my comment above to Bobby in terms of beta changes.

Yep, will add something like that. Not sure when though.

5. Stupid question: does Mizuu integrate a video player, or does it rely exclusively on external players?

• Mizuu not include a video player. you can play the videos with MX Player for example.

• What Bobby said. The various video players available for Android are so much better than anything I’d be able to create, so there’s no point in creating one. Besides, this allows users to use their favourite video player with Mizuu, and that’s pretty awesome.

• Jepp 🙂

6. I enrolled as a beta tester yesterday but Mizuu hasn’t updated to the beta version. Is there something else that I need to do to trigger the update?

• Hi!

I think it’ll be available within a few hours if you’ve just signed up for it.

7. The beta version keeps crashing for me. It fires up, says updating movies (0%) then crashes and I get the message “Unfortunately Mizuu has stopped. Report | OK”. I rebooted but same result.

Any idea what settings I need to change to do to avoid this crash? Do I need to get out of the beta and revert to 2.2?

• Please send the crash report, and I’ll check it out. In the meantime, you can revert to the regular version.

• I just sent the crash report. I hope this will help you reach a conclusion.

• Did you find anything?

• I’ve been working on an exam for the past few days, so haven’t had a chance yet, but I’ll check it out soon.

• No worries.

• Hi Michell,

I hope that you’re scoring at your exams.

Just additional information: the crash happens when I press “Start Updates” in Options.

• Thanks! I’ll start looking at the crashes next week 🙂

• Hi, 2.2.2-beta does not seem to crash anymore. Did you find what the problem was?

• Yeah, I changed a few things and believe I fixed it.