I need your feedback on something

As some of you have probably noticed, the nightly builds don’t include the horizontal scroll overview – you know, the one that presents your covers in a horizontal carousel of large images (as pictured above). There’s a reason for this: I’m considering removing it completely.

Now, I reckon some of you may be using this although it’s not the default overview setting and I reckon some of you will probably argue that you purchased or downloaded Mizuu solely because of this feature. That’s also why I’m going to ask for your feedback before going any further with this.

I’d like to point out a few of my main reasons for removing it:

• Cover art images in Mizuu are 374 x 600 pixels – that’s large enough for most tablets in landscape, but not in portrait. If I were to use higher resolution images, it’d slow down the loading and speed of the application quite a lot.
  • The horizontall scroll component – or the so-called Gallery widget in Android – has been deprecated as of Android 4.1 and the Android developer team advises against using it in applications. It’s inefficient, slow and scrolling doesn’t work as it should. All of this comes straight from the horse’s mouth.
  • The scroll view doesn’t really work on smartphones (or TV’s for that matter), and while it’s half decent on tablets, I’m not a fan of providing a setting that makes the user experience on smartphones worse than it should be.
  • It’s horrible for large collections. Just horrible.
  • Code-wise it’s easier to maintain just the grid view style rather than two different ones.

I really could go on about the disadvantages of using the component, but I’ll rest my case here. I personally feel the grid view is a lot better, faster and provides a more compelling experience.

Let me know what you think in the comments.

1. Since the cons are more than the pros, then what needs to be done is clear.

Do it.

2. Mate, do what you feel is right for your app.

if it will maintain speed and doesn’t work as well, you don’t want the cons of this particular view to make people think the app has speed issues. because we both know idiots will continue to give you bad reviews and feedback in the play store. only disadvantaging your app in the long run.

3. I won’t miss it as it wasn’t ideal for a set top box at all. A list view, on the other hand… 🙂

• I’ve been thinking a lot about doing some sort of list view style, but there are a ton of problems involved in doing so. Remember, it needs to work for both tablets and phones.

I’m guessing you want something like a list view with details pane. That’d be a tablet-only feature. Also, it’d negate the purpose of the current details view. It’d also involve quite a bit of code duplication because I’d end up with two areas of the application that are basically doing the same thing. There are many more issues like these, so I’ve decided to skip that one for now. Maybe later 🙂

• I agree with getting rid of the gallery view since it is being deprecated and it didn’t even work smoothly at all once you have a lot of movies in the collection.

In regards to a list view on the left side with a details fragment on the right side, I am a fan! This would be really good on TVs as well 😉

• I’m easy to please. While the details pane would certainly be slick, a simple list is all I’m after.

4. I just checked and I have set my machine to show the horizontal carousel and after playing around, I think it is more attractive than static. However, I rarely enter that app that way. I almost always use the home screen widget to start it. As long as you keep the cascading widget (which is probably safe as long as Google Books uses it) I am fine.

5. Definitely remove it. I was never the fan of how it scrolled.

• When are you releasing a new nightly?

• I’ve actually just got a few days without much on my schedule, so I’m likely going to post a new nightly on Thursday. Sorry about the delays, but I really haven’t had much time.

6. Thanks a lot, guys! Much appreciated 🙂

7. Kill it, if it makes the app faster. I don’t use that view anyways…. BTW, FINALLY got my internet back. I’ll try to do some testing soon. Going to Disney World on Thursday for 3 days!

8. Used this view always on my Nexus 7. It’s perfect for showing your collection to someone. There aren’t any Apps which are as beautiful as this one…

• Thanks for the feedback Adrian. A bit late, as you see, but I’ve been finding various ways of achieving something similar, and that might be added in a future update.