Jolly pre-alpha build available!

jolly_pre_alpha

I’ve decided compile a pre-alpha build of Jolly for interested early adopters to try out. It’s available on GitHub using the link below. I’ll be following up with more pre-alpha builds in the coming weeks.

It should be underscored that these pre-alpha builds aren’t fully functional and lack many of the basic features, including playback of video files. This will of course be improved over time.

The GitHub link also includes a public check list of things I have yet to add, improve or fix. Once everything on the check list has been completed, I’ll kick off the public alpha test.

Please read the check list and notes before downloading.

Despite being an extremely early build that hasn’t been tested on anything but my Nexus 6P running Android N, I’m very interested to know what you think. The entire purpose of these pre-alpha builds is to get very early feedback and hopefully improve the final product.

You can download the first pre-alpha build here:

PS. I’ll be using this site to post some of the Jolly updates in the coming months. I’ll eventually create a new website specifically for Jolly.

1. I tried and it works witout any issue.

2. I am trying on 5.1 android tv box and it seems to hang when finding videos and shows a box on the screen that should be a picture of a Movie Cover but when you click it, Mizuu stops. But the pictures that come up are clear and beautiful cover art and the description screen as well. Will you be adding TV shows as well?

• I’m not sure what exactly is happening. Can you perhaps record a video of what you mean?

3. As a daily user of Mizuu I’m delighted that you’re starting another project. I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong but I had a parsing error when trying to install to my Minix Neo X5 116A running Android 4.2.2.

• It’s not available on Android versions prior to 5.0. Sorry :-/

4. When I tried to add videos via Plex DLNA server, I received the following error on my Nexus 6:

“ERROR: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received.”

On the Nvidia Shield Android TV, it never locates any DLNA server. On the check list, you only list UPNP. Any plans for SMB? Thanks for work on Mizuu and Jolly.

• Try again. The error is a bit flaky. Regarding the Shield TV, it doesn’t currently support Ethernet / LAN connections. There aren’t any plans for SMB. It’s a hassle and inferior to UPnP in terms of speed and usability. Also, UPnP is available on pretty much anything.

• I did and it worked. I was trying to add a playlist instead of the entire library. My movies are showing up, but can’t play. Looks really good. The left arrow in settings doesn’t work. What type of feedback are you looking for?

• Which version are you using? The latest release should make it possible to play videos as well as use the arrow icon to go back from the settings screen.

I’m basically looking for any kind of feedback. Anything you might think is useful.

5. Downloaded and installed!

6. Hi Mitchell, I love the interface for watching movies. If you port the software to work with ‘Popcorn hour’ player which is using sqlite3 database, it will be awesome and will be used by many users across the world. If you require, I will provide more details.

• Hi! I don’t have any plans of porting to anything else 🙂

7. I upgraded my tablet to Marshmallow recently and it changed my sd card’s name to D47A-E7E5 :/

I store all my movies in sd card, and now im not able to access sd card folders.

On lollipop i was able to access sdcard1 by going back to /storage

But now when touch ⬅… Im not getting anything

• Sorry, there’s nothing I can do about that.

• Michell, I’m using Jolly on 5.1.1 on a Himedia Q5 Pro and it is working well. I look forward to your future enhancements. You are great and your app is much appreciated. Thank You

• Hi. I just found an earlier version of mizuu and it allows me to access the SD card which the current version doesn’t. I’ve been without mizuu for 4 months so now I can use it again!

8. I love Mizuu and I can’t wait for the new app! I’m downloading the pre-alpha now to give it a whirl.

I hate to be “that guy”, but if you find the time after you add your personally desired features, it’d be amazing if there was a way to export the Mizuu database as a csv file or even a PDF layout of some kind for easy distribution to friends when trying to decide what to watch.