Network support has been added to the beta

I’ve just published a new beta version, which includes a ton of changes and improvements as well as experimental network support for movies and TV shows using Samba (SMB / CIFS).

Please download the update and let me know if it’s working for you or if it isn’t. Also, please report the video player you’re trying to play videos with, so I can test it myself.

UPDATE: Sub-folder searching isn’t working at the moment. Working on a fix ASAP. Update has been uploaded, should appear within a few hours.

Some features won’t work on network files. Feel free to report it if you experience any, but it’s likely a known limitation for now.Β Please seeΒ this postΒ for more details.

Hope you’ll like the changes, there are definitely more to come! I personally like having a movie library of 561 movies now πŸ™‚

Here are some screenshots from the latest version:

1. Hi Michell
    there are no update for the beta
    the last update is
    December 20, 2012
    thanks

• “Please download the update when it’s available (should be within a few hours) […]”

πŸ™‚

• can you send the apk to my email
        i want to tray it now πŸ™‚

• Hi
          why there are no dlna!!
          thanks!

• That’s coming at a later point, when I feel the Cling library for Android is good enough. Version 2.0 of Cling is currently available in an alpha version, so I’m hopeful that it’ll get stable in the near future.

Samba support has always been the top priority, mainly because it’s the most widespread solution.

2. Hi
    i dont know how to use samba
    i want to try it !!
    thanks

• Can’t really help you much there. It makes it possible to access files on PC’s and other network shares. I’m sure Google might be able to help you with your specific setup.

i mean is samba app
        what is samba
        thanks

• This is pretty off topic. Please Google it.

3. This is great to hear Michell! I’ll try it out later tonight and let you know how it goes. Thank you for keeping your promise and delivering this great feature.

4. Well it works… but just kinda πŸ™‚

First of all, it crashes (Mizuu has closed) everytime I go under settings -> Identification & search -> Set file sources
    Secondly, it doesn’t seem to be able to do a sub-folder search (at least not here). If I set it to my Movies folder (with sub-folders for each movie) it doesn’t find anything – but if I set it to the movie folder, it finds the movie fine.
    Same with TV Shows, it needs the exact folder in which the .mkv (or whatever) files are. Which would mean I’d have to add hundreds of folders, so I hope it’s not meant to be this way πŸ˜›

Also, I’d love to see a “server choice” of some kind – so you only have to add a server once and can then just choose it the next time. So you would have options to choose one of the servers you already added, or make a new one.

Apart from those problems, everything seems to be working good (and fast!).

PS: I tested it on a simple external USB hooked up to the router.

PPS: There are some other things I’d like to see (like being able to swipe left-right to previous-next episode when looking at the details) but that doesn’t have anything to do with network support πŸ™‚

-NMB

• Working on fixing the crash as we speak.

Admittedly, I didn’t test sub-folder searching. Will have to do that ASAP.

TV shows will be getting a major overhaul, so your wish might just come true πŸ™‚

Thanks!

5. Hi Michell
    I’ve been able to add my network share (a specific movie folder containing the mkv file), but the source update app dosen’t detect any movie. I’ve tried to access the same folder from ES File Explorer and I’ve been able to play this mkv just fine. Do you have any idea anout what’s going wrong?

• It’s probably due to a bug with sub-folder searching. Working on it as we speak.

6. Great start to getting network support for this app. I was able to add tv shows with no issues with the second update but movies on the network would not scan, update nor add to movie library. Tv shows added and streaming thru mx player no problem.

AsuThe competition is really heating up with both Archos media player and XBMC RC3 3rd party video hardware acceleration playback released in the last week, hope Mizuu comes up on top as best tablet htpc.

• Thanks, I’ll have another look at it. I was perhaps rushing things and it was quite late, too πŸ™‚

7. Pretty bloody decent effort to be honest. Nice work. Would be nice if it recognised a samba server and let you select multiple folders to search. Other than that its very, very nice!

• Cheers! Both movies and TV shows working for you?

• Yes both working almost without . Would be good to be able to sort movies into fold errs like those on my NAS. For instance Children’s films, Documentaries, Comedy, etc.

• Yep, that kind of stuff is coming πŸ™‚

8. Hi Michell,

i’m having a fc when logging in on my smb shares, i type host-ip, name and password and if i want to continue the app just fc. How can i provide a log for you so you can have a look? Oh if it matters: I’m running it on a nexus 10, android 4.2.1, latest beta version 18012013

• oh and before i forget: thank you very much for your work, i really appreciate it πŸ™‚

9. Hi Michell
    thank for the lastest update it work !!
    I hope the dlna will be soon in Mizuu
    thank!

10. force close for me as I try to connect to my desktop pc. maybe because the smb needs a login name, but no password? with es file explorer and solid explorer it does work with login name set and password empty.

• I’ll try with my own PC and test it out. Maybe it requires a domain name?

• Regardless, please report any crashes.

11. Can’t connect to Windows machines. Using X-plore>LAN>Scan finds all devices on the network. So the Windows Boxes can be seen and accessed, just not through Mizuu.

• Like I just said in another comment, I’ll try with my own PC and test it out. Maybe it requires a domain name.

• Tried domain name, only using Workgroup so there should not be a need. Also tried as guest and still not connecting. X-plore can see all devices connected just can’t connect. Can it see Ethernet connection cause it says I need to connect to a network.

• Yep, it’s definitely Ethernet that’s bugging. It’s set to only check for WiFi right now. Can you try a wireless connection?

12. Lost tv show access when trying to add new shows to library overnight. The network files that was added yesterday still show and can stream them but trying to new files no go. Inputting the same network settings as before just see a spinning circle, Mizuu cannot find samba server. Movies still not possible, same spinning circle.
    Both my phone and tablet same issue.

TF101, 4.2.1 EOS Rom, HTC One S 4.0.3 stock ICS – Windows 8

• That makes no sense.. If it’s capable of streaming, then it should be perfectly capable of browsing the server. Hmm… I’ll check it out.

13. Works like a charm for me! I have to admit that I haven’t tried out the subfolder thingy yet but this update is such a huge step ahead.
    Many thanks, Michell. Looks awesome with the complete NAS library listed on Mizuu.

14. Hi
    Connects fine to shared USB drive plugged in to router but won’t connect to any Windows PCs. If I browse through the shared USB drive then go up a level I can see the two Windows PCs on my network but just get a spinning circle when I click either. Also get an error message which isn’t up long enough to note down. Tried via Ethernet and wifi; same result.
    Looks promising for the future though. Using Cortex A9-based set-top box so see only landscape movie view – layout not as good as in the non-Beta Mizuu IMHO. Keep up the good work.

• Yeah, Windows seems to be quite annoying πŸ™‚

Some people have got it working by writing everything in lower case letters and adding ‘/’ at the end of the share. Tried that? Also, can you get a screenshot of the error message? It’s probably quite helpful, I reckon.

The landscape layout is getting a lot better, I promise.

• Success! The trick (may help someone else) seems to be to type the word “guest” in the username field, as just ticking the “login as guest” checkbox doesn’t work. Password can be blank.

Now for the first time I don’t need cifsmanager mapping on the box.

• Dude, that’s awesome! I got it working on my own PC now as well – haha! Thanks!

• Actually, I spoke too soon. Further tests reveal it’s not working at all on my box. Specifically, fast-forwarding/skipping no longer works on either VLC or the stock video player, and the stock movie player is no longer listed as an option within Mizuu. I get exactly the same behaviour with network streams on another app, UPnP Movie Browser – so this may be a limitation with my box in particular or Android in general. So going back to Cifsmanager, sadly

• Hmm… So nothing’s crashing, it’s just not capable of seeking in videos? Which video file type are you trying to play? That might be a reason why the stock video player isn’t showing up.

• Playing avi, mkv and mp4 files. But don’t think file type is the issue as seeking works and the stock player shows up in mizuu when the same files are local (cifs). Seems to be something to do with whether or not they’re treated as network streams.

• Hmm, might be worth trying another player. MX Player and Dice Player are working fine here πŸ™‚

• Just tried both again but no dice(!). They variously won’t skip, won’t keep in sync or won’t play smoothly. Likewise all the other major players, which is why I tend to stick to VLC or the stock player.
            The box is an AML 8726-M1 based model as used by Pivos for.the Android XBMC port, so exactly the sort of device Mizuu is ideal for, if a workaround emerges.

• I’ll be adding some options for changing the buffer size when streaming – maybe that’ll help. It’s currently at 16 KB, which isn’t really the standard, but it proved faster than 8 KB in my testing.

By the way: Some video players disable any hardware decoding when dealing with streaming content. Maybe that could be the issue in your case. That could potentially explain issues with not being able to play smoothly and failing to keep in sync.

15. Well after trying this out on a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7 and a HP Touchpad with CM9 I can see this will end up the best solution. I love the layout and its so snappy to use. Make a selection and it just happens, instantly. Love the way the actors, synopsis, trailers etc are displayed. Logins would be nice so that different people could have different libraries. Good for controlling what the kids can watch. But this really is a great, stylish app. The Dev has got talent and obviously an eye for detail.

• Really happy to hear that, thanks a lot! It’ll only get better πŸ™‚

16. Working really well for me Michell, except for the few bugs here and there but I can see you are already working on them and some of them have already been fixed! Finally a decent media library app for my Google TV! Thank you!!!

• Great to hear! I’d love to get an overview of the bugs you are / have been experiencing, if that’s possible.

• I had some bugs with the sub-folders not being picked up, I had some more with TV Show updating not working at all, but now these are fixed.
        I sometimes have to try and play a video multiple times before it gets going for some reason. I am using aVia player, that’s the only player I could find that is supported on the Logitech Revue.

A few other comments:
        – The user experience on the Logitech Revue is a bit slow when you open a movie/tv show. I believe this is because it is downloading a backdrop image on the fly. If we could have a backdrop downloaded on the usb storage of the device as an option and the app uses that every time, this would be preferred because it will make the user experience faster.
        – On the landscape view, I know you are working on improving this but I have a suggestion especially for the TV Shows. I don’t like when I click on an episode that a window pops up with the info for the episode. In landscape mode it would make sense for this pop up to actually be in a fragment and display on the right hand side of the screen. Something like what you had before in earlier versions of Mizuu, but with the addition of tab navigation for different seasons.

Hope this helps and keep up the awesome work!

G

17. I have the same problem of David. I cant fast forward or resume videos on Mxplaye or stock player via smb shares. But i dont have this issue when i browse for video files with Es File explorer.
    I have this problem on two devices Jesurun A19 with android 4.2.2 and Mele a2000 with 4.0.1.
    Thanks Michell for any help.