Ready for a second run?

It’s been nearly a year since my last post. I’m not even sure how many will read this.

Much has happened since then and – most importantly – I’m feeling a lot better. As a result, I’ve picked up development again, although it’ll be significantly different this time.

Changes to come

First and foremost, Mizuu will be dropped and a new app will rise in its ashes. I promise you, it’ll be Jolly good.

Secondly, there’ll be a series of alpha builds for you guys to try out. Mizuu provides the foundation of the new app, but there’s a lot of changes in there as well. As Mizuu grew in popularity and user engagement, I added a number of features that had been asked for, but perhaps wasn’t in line with my own vision of the app. The upcoming app will lack a number of both simple and advanced features of Mizuu.

Thirdly, my spare time is significantly more limited now than it was two or three years ago. If I am to create a new app, I need to be able to focus on that – and less on user support. I’ll be happy to receive feedback as we go along, but I won’t be able to help with any issues unless they’re related to bugs in the app. There’ll be a help section to deal with troubleshooting.

Finally, the app will be available for smartphones and tablets running Android 5.0 or later. The main reason for this is that it allows me to get work done faster. Android 5.0 or later is on more than 40% of the devices accessing Google Play today and likely more than 50% of all devices when the app launches. If that excludes your devices, I’m sorry. Hopefully you’ll be able to use it in the future.

Questions?

I’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have in the comment section. In the meantime, here’s a few screenshots of what I’m working on…

jolly_preview

Please note that this is very early work and subject to change.

1. Wow, fantastic news. Glad that you are back.

2. Welcome back, Michell! Still use Mizuu on my android tablets…

3. I am really happy to heard from you again. 🙂
    Please continue the great work as usual.

4. Hi Michell,

I’m so glad to hear, that yore feeling better! And I wish you all the best and lot pleasure with you’re new project.

And for sure, I’m in with testing the coming Phoenix and follower of Mizuu! ☺

Cheers and hope to hear from you again soon,
    Sebastian

5. Thanks for keeping the last APK available on your website for download. It is the perfect app for videos on my kids’ tablets. They will need new hardware soon and it is nice to know I can reinstall via sideload. I am curious to see how the new app develops.

I have switched to a Surface for my own tablet needs and would pay anything for a UWP version. Setting up Plex was overly complex.

• Maybe you’ll give Remix OS for PC a chance. I run it on my Surface Pro 3 as dual boot and it works like a charm,

• I have the non-pro Surface 3 and haven’t had success installing Remix yet, and the forums indicate not many have so far. However, I believe the bugs will be worked out and I will definitely give it a shot.

6. I’m Glad you are feeling better and excited again to work on your beautiful creation. am so happy to hear your back and going to re-do Mizuu, not that it needed much, as it works on my 4.2, 4.4 and 5.0 machines. You are the best, I look forward to the new version and will be happy to give feed back on the beta releases.

7. I agree with Frederick, Since you stopped work on mizuu i have absolutely tried everything available(including plex) and nothing come close to your work! I’d gladly pay to have you back. Will this be available for Android TV as well?

• I plan on eventually adding support for Android TV. Will focus on smartphones and tablets to begin with. You’ll still be able to use that version on Android TV, although it won’t feel completely native.

8. Delighted ! I’m using mizuu on all my devices it’s must better then plex in terms of user interface and scanning movies and tv shows

9. Awesome news! Like the others, I’ve tried a few other media indexers but nothing comes close to your work.

10. Hey Mitchell. Glad to hear from you again. Very awesome news about your new app. Can’t wait to give it a spin, especially a native AndroidTV when you get around to it.

You’re guaranteed a sale here if and when your release a pro version.

11. Good news you’re feeling better! Also, good news we will still have apps from you!

12. Fantastic news.

13. I’m thrilled by all your positive comments. Thanks a lot, guys! 🙂

If anyone’s interested, here’s a slightly updated screenshot.

14. I’m looking forward to your beta trails!

15. First and foremost, it’s great to hear you’re in better health. Secondly, as a developer, I’m really in awe at Mizuu – it’s just a fantastic piece of work, and even more incredible that it’s the work of one person. Really looking forward to seeing what comes now!

16. I bought Mizuu early on and have used it on my phones and tablets ever since. I’m very excited that it’s making a comeback.

17. I am thrilled to see this post. I just spent way too much time trying to find the right combination of software to run a UPnP catalog of movies and TV shows from my NAS. All of the server-side pieces that can provide decent metadata and a decent interface use too many resources to get decent streaming quality from my low-power server. MiniDLNA is rock-solid on the server, but the meta data is non-existent. Using mizuu to generate a locally cached (and beautiful) catalog makes it possible to avoid investing in a higher powered server. I can’t wait to see what you come up with next.

18. Great! Mizuu still is my main mediacenter app on my Minix device. Just works… everytime. Love it.

Glad you’re better!

Never gave up and visited your website from time to time … waiting for this post 😉

19. Thanks again, guys. Really appreciate the kind words from all of you 🙂

20. Glad you’re back.
    I’ve been a Mizuu user since the EARLY tumultuous days on XDA.
    Im excited to see Jolly!

21. Welcome back Michell! Glad to know you’re feeling better and starting to work on this again! Looking forward to many great updates and features in the Jolly app!

22. Great to hear you’re in good health and back on the horse mate. Really interested to try the new app.

Take care of yourself and keep up the great work.

23. Great that you’re back, I’ve had jolly installed on my families 5 phones and tablet for months (and had mizuu for years) because, as things stand, mizuu is more complete we’re not using jolly.

Is jolly in development? There’s no pressure because mizuu does everything we want it to, it’s an amazing app and it makes my dvd collection beautiful!

I totally agree with your vision for the new app and the reasons for dropping mizuu seem sensible.

You’ve made a great app! Keep it up if it fits with you!