TV show updates are about to be blazing fast

I’ve spent most of the day so far working on TV show updates. I wanted to continue my work on making it faster, and I think it’s safe to say that I’ve suceeded. Check out the video below. Mizuu downloads a high resolution cover art, a backdrop image, 24 episode images as well as show and episode details in about 3 or 4 seconds. That’s pretty fast!

What’s even better is that the updated code is a lot more flexible, so it’ll be significantly easier to implement manual identification. I’ve also improved the algorithm used for “decoding” file names, so it’s even better.

Update: Just did some more testing with four shows containing a total of 230 episodes. It took 51 seconds to fetch all the information and images!

1. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I use TV shows A LOT too. 🙂

• I’m sure you’ll like this then 🙂 It’s really fast.

• If I select ‘clear library’ when updating TV shows, will it only clear existing TV shows or entire library including films? Hopefully just TV shows.

• It’ll only clear the library you’re updating, so in that case it’d be the TV show library.

2. i want to test the speed
    i have 250 show !!!
    amazing!!
    can you send the app to my email
    thanks!

• HAHA
        okay will wait for it
        thanks! 😉

3. when you open the tv show and scroll down
    do you notice any lag because the photo take more time to show up when scroll down fast!!
    thanks!

• It should be fairly lag-free. If it isn’t then you might be happy to know that I’m also going to take a closer look at improving the TV show overview screen to make it as fast as the movie overview screen.

• thats good
        when the update will be avilable and what improve
        thanks!

4. Since the last beta update mizuu can’t find any tv show on my external hard-disk… I think there is a problem in the sub-folder recognition! Are you already working on the fix for that bug?

• How are you connecting to that hard drive?

• It’s an hard drive connected via usb to an android mini-pc. If I clear the whole library on the update it finds some file but it can’t recognize the tv-show. At the end of the update in the “Tv shows” there is only one unnamed tv-show without any cover or episode image. My shows on the hard drive are organized in a folder for each show in witch there is a folder for each season.

• So it’s a local file source? I wouldn’t imagine there being any issues with that, but I’ll check.

• Yeah, it’s a local source! I tried again a few minutes ago and the problem is still there… I don’t know why but it worked perfectly till last software updates! It’s strange that I’m the only one is experiencing this difficulty :/

• I definitely haven’t heard from anyone else with the same issue, but I’ll give it a go myself. Does it only happen for TV shows? Also, could you give me an example of the folder/file structure? I.e. Shows/How I Met Your Mother/S01/How I Met Your Mother S01E01.mkv.

• Yes it only happens for tv shows. I can add movies without any problem. The movies are all in a single folder without any sub-folder in it

• I just tried myself with TV shows in sub folders. Worked just fine. Could be a problem with the HDD driver. Have you tried rebooting and unplugging the drive?

• The folder/file structure is just the same you mentioned. The name of each episode is formatted in this way: “Series’ Name – SXXEXX – Episode’s title”. I don’t think that’s a hdd problem cause I can reproduce every show using a file manager. I’ll do some other tests 🙂

• Thanks, please do. I tested it on the same structure without issues. The only difference is that my files / folders were local on the device, not on a HDD.

• I have a similar problem with TV shows in a network folder. Many shows are not identified (Firefly/BBC The Planets for example), and they’re grouped all together in an unnamed show category.

This unnamed show even includes some seasons of shows that are correctly identified, like Always Sunny and How I Met.. Everything is in it’s own sub folder and Plex recognizes everything perfectly..

• If the files are picked up by Mizuu – identified or unidentified – then there’s no issue with sub-folders. It’s a matter of file naming. How are your files named?

• After other few tests I realized that the problem is in the recognition of the tv show title. When I do a full update mizuu finds all the video files in my local source and puts them under a single blank cover. So my shows’ library is composed by a single unnamed tv show with ALL my episodes in it, but correctly divided in seasons.
            So I tried EVERY file naming you suggested in the FAQ section of your website but the problem persisted, even if I used as local source a single season folder.
            I read in your last post that you wrote the Tv shows’ code again so I’ll try the new version and maybe the problem will be solved 😀
            I’m studying software engineering and I know how it feels when you can’t figure out the cause of a malfunction 😀

• Hmm… It just doesn’t make any sense. The only difference in our setups is that you’re using a HDD connected through a 3rd party driver, and I’m using local storage on the device. I might have to create a special version for you that can be used for troubleshooting 🙂

• That could be a good idea xD
            But I’m sure the new version will solve the problem by itself 😉

• I’m still convinced it’s a driver issue, so I doubt it, but we’ll see 🙂

5. Looks awesome. Will it be released through the play store or are we looking at side loading an apk?

6. Is this version can be used without internet connection? 😉

• There’ll be a setting to do so.

• great i hope xml will work. until now covers will not appear.

• Yeah, custom cover art is broken at the moment as well.

7. Great work! Updating TV shows was taking forever before, especially when selecting ‘remove unavailable files’.