Naturally, I’ve been working on Mizuu despite it being removed from Google Play, and you’re getting to see some of the changes now.
The Google Play team let me know that they reinstated Mizuu conditionally. I had to upload a version that complies with their content policy. That’s why I’m releasing a new version right now – it may be a bit rough around the edges, but I think it’s better than nothing. This also explains why it’s still a 2.8.x release and not version 2.9.
The new version includes a number of changes – in no particular order:
- Bug fixes and performance improvements
- Improvements for non-touch devices
- Support for offline watching of UPnP movies
- Added code to download TV show season cover art (will be used in the future)
- Improvements to manual identification of movies from UPnP sources (TV shows will follow with the upcoming re-write)
- The user interface has been updated and now uses the card style for most content (TV show seasons / episodes will be updated with the upcoming re-write)
- Other minor user interface tweaks and updates
- Added adult filter that makes Mizuu ignore a number of movies that contain explicit words in the title (enabled by default – can be disabled in settings)
- Added option to filter movies that are available offline
- Improved support for “phablet” devices
It’s worth pointing out that the new cards UI does respect the “Show titles in overview” setting. If you don’t want titles and extra meta data in your overview, it will not appear.
Here are some screenshots of some of the changes:
As always, you’ll be able to get the update via Google Play within a few hours. If you don’t want to wait, you can grab it immediately from the Downloads section of the site.